Home of the TSO
Phone (03) 63314616 for reservations in Victorias Cafe
Open 7 days a week during summer from 9.00am – 3.00pm
The Albert Hall was built by J.T Farmils at a cost of 14,000 pounds in 1891 to house the Tasmanian Industrial Exhibition of 1891-92. The exhibition ran for four months and attracted over 260,000 people. The exhibition itself was designed to ease the social misery caused by the depression of the 1880’s.
The Albert Hall is one of Launceston’s most significant heritage buildings due to its high degree of heritage value that is attributed to the Classical Victorian style of monumental public architecture. The Hall covers an area of 14,000 square feet and was recognised at the time as the worlds 11th largest building.
The Brindley Air Organ, situated in the Great Hall and is Australia’s largest surviving organ pre-dating 1860. Built of local timbers including blackwood and huon pine, the organ’s bellows are lined with original kangaroo skin; believed to be the only one of its type in the world when installed in 1892.
For information for the facilities available please go to Facilities